Day 14 was a big one. I had my first follow up and I was to get my cast off. I had done some research on cast removal and found there was nothing to fear. What I did not mentally prepare for was the removal or the 20 staples running down the back of my ankle to the heel. Why? I just never went there. So they nurse starts to take them out and I turned my head away and held my breath during each removal. The nurse said "Are you breathing?" I was like yeah,, just get this over with! Then the doctor comes in to take a look see. He said it looked good and to wear the walking boot again. I said so I can walk with the crutches right? He said no! 3 more weeks of non-weight bearing. I as a bit disappointed. The good news, I could take a shower. He did have one ominous warning. He said in 3 weeks the "real" fun would start. I said physical therapy?
He shook his head yes and asked if I had enough pain medicine I said yes, but then started to wonder by the way he talked about the physical therapy if maybe I should be stock piling pain meds for when it starts.
So home it was, Shower time! What a mistake. I crawled up the stairs and got to the bathroom. I was determined to get in that shower. It became clear to me as I sat next to the tub there was no way for me to get in it. I was going to need help and a stool. I sat there and cried. I just wanted a simple shower, but there is nothing simple to a shower when you can't use one of your legs and you have no help.
I ended up washing my hair over the tub and scooting down the stairs, totally draining me of any remaining energy.
I called work and told them the doctor released me to come back the day after the next.
I was nervous about my return as all the plans I had made pre op about rides and times were shot out the window when we lost two employees while I was gone. I was now on evenings 3pm to 11pm.
The night before returning to work I had my husband get my uniform ready and I washed up and did my hair so the morning would go easier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment