Monday, February 18, 2008

Surgery Day Has Arrived


After making proper work arrangements, doing some grocery shopping for easy to make food, getting extra pet supplies, I thought I was ready. I had sent off for a temporary handicap parking placard about a month ago, I called to see where it was at. The lady said "Oh it just went out today". I thought yeah, cause I called. I was not too worried about it getting here right off as I knew I would be home for a while and my husband could drop me off and pick me up right a the door since I would not be driving for a while.

Surgery day was a Monday and the time was set for 1:00 P.M. I had it done at a surgicenter. The doctor said the benifits were that I would be able to get a nerve block to control the pain. The insurance benifits were that it would be covered at 100% versus 80.

I was supprised to find out I on ly needed to be there an hour early as there was no pre op testing before this day. They did it all there.

I was called in and taken to a holding room where I was to disrobe. To my pleasant surpise I was allowed to keep my undergarments on. The nurse then started an IV and put my cute hat over my hair.

The anestiologist came in and explained about the nerve block and how it is done. From there they wheeled me into to recovery as that is where they administer the block. The block consisted of a needle with an electrical current attached so the anesthiologist could make sure he was in the right place. The electrical current made my leg and foot have involuntary movements. I was getting pretty nervous at that point and they gave me something by IV to relax. It must have worked, as the next thing I remember is being in the surgical room, how I got there I do not know. They put a mask over my face and said breath deep. That is all I remember until I woke up.
I have had a number of surgies and always in recovery, before opening my eyes the very first thing the brain says is pain. This time was different. I remember the nurses saying to wake up and that all went well. For a minute or so I could not remember where I was at. Then I thought, hey they were suppose to do surgery, yet I don't feel a thing. I reached down to see what the heck and there was a cast on my leg. Then I remembered I had the nerve block. I thought hey this is cool and dozed back off to sleep. I woke up again and became concerned about time? I did not want to keep them there too long. I kept trying to sit up and look for a clock, but with no glasses that was futile. One of the nurses asked what was wrong and I told her I did not want to keep them, what was the time. It was only 3:30. Then I noticed my lip was sore and had a huge lump on it. I said to the nurse "I must have bitten my lip". She got me some ice for it, which was a welcome releif as my mouth was very dry.
When they deemed awake enough I was moved to a recovery room, I am not sure how I got from the bed to a wheel chair still, but I remember trying to get from the wheel chair to the lounger in the recovery. I sat there trying to stay awake. The nurse kept brining me popiscle sticks for my lip, yet no one ever said what happened to my lip.

Before I could leave and go home I had to be shown how to do crutches and a walker.
Then I was off to rest at home. We got about a block from home when my stomach decided riding side ways in the back seat along with anetsthia was not a good thing. I did not make it in the house before my stomach protested.

Getting in the house was an adventure. I was still out of it, weak and there was no way I could manuver getting up the two steps in the house. We ended up bringing out the rolling dinning room chair out and rolling to the door where I scooted up into a second chair into the house.

Once inside I made my way to the bed we had set up downstairs and laid down for the night.

No comments: