Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day 25 Post Op

After working a full week,, 2 day shifts and 3 evenings, I can tell you I am tired. I feel my whole body strength coming back, but there is a long way to go.
I had today off and I enjoyed the fact not having to get ready to go to work. It was a sense of relief when the 1PM get ready time came and I could lounge.

Tonight I insisted 2 things of my husband. Dinner out of this house and a shower.

We went to a Chinese place we like, it is low key and usually empty. I liked the thought of empty because that is less people looking at me on my scooter. Still the waiter had to ask in broken English what happened. I tried to explain on a level he would get, I said" ankle surgery" and left it at that. It is amazing how many people feel they have the right to know. I have never asked some on crutches or in a wheel chair why they needed them.

So anyway we got home from dinner and I rested a bit before I made my way up the 20 stairs to the shower.

I was feeling pretty good that day and decided to try to bear weight against my doctors advice. I made it up the stairs with my boot strapped tight and pulling my way up the railing. (the hubby thinks I crawled.

Once in the bathroom my husband placed a folding stool in the shower on a towel to prevent slipping . (we purchased the stool at Walmart for ten bucks, so I did not care if it lasts through showers). The stool was just the right height for me to sit back on to it while holding on to my husbands arms. From there I pulled my legs in and turned forward. We have one of those shower heads on a hose so he handed it to me and I adjusted the water temperature to my liking and showered away I really worked on my leg. The skin where the cast was is really dry and peeling and driving me nuts. My knee is forming a callus where I ride on my scooter so I worked hard on that. Thankfully I had received some body scrub from Bath and Body Works for Christmas and that came in extremely handy for getting rid of dead skin.

I felt so good after the shower, not the tired I had with the previous shower, so I know I am getting stronger day by day.

For those strong in the stomach I decided to post a picture of the incision site, mind you this is 25 days post op and there is still quite a bit of swelling going on.


As a post note, I would like to add I had my first experience the other day at Walmart as a person in a power scooter and rude people. I was turning into an isle and this woman just shoved her way in front of me, cutting me off. I stayed where I was at and heard her husband say something to her about me turning and she retorted with the excuse I was sitting down so it was no big deal and besides she could move faster so she should just have gotten ahead of me. I am not one much to let folks like that get the best of me, but that was a great lesson on being more aware of people with special needs. When this is all said and done, I will be sure to give the right of way, I think I always have but now I will pay even more attention.

No comments: